Living The Dream


I want to close my eyes and fall into this dream
So I can make some changes to it
As you can see it is not quite the way
I have wished it to be

When I was a boy I played hockey everyday
Between the road and the ice
I dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup one day
Then this dream faded before it began
I did hold it - and kiss it - in the Hall of Fame once
I have a picture somewhere taken on film
It was a great day but it wasn't my dream

A family vacation in Montreal
Made me into a future Olympian
I became a long distance runner
Dreaming of winning the Marathon one day for my country
Running freed me of the real world
I loved my country better than, oh Canada
It was another love of my life which slipped away

Then as a teenager I wanted to sing and make music
I formed a band with a friend
I started to live my next dream
Then one day we had a visit from a friends friend
His name was Jeff, he played guitar and sang like a blues man
He was blind and became a music legend then died
I was replaced by him and then that was the end of this dream

When high school was done
I wanted to become a journalist
Since Carleton did not accept underachieving stoners

It was not to become my next dream

I cleaned up my young dirty ways
And met a young girl who believed I could win in life
I went to college at night and worked in the day
In a dirty old factory not part of my dream
I always believed in the power of the journey

She spent the little bit of money we had
On things we didn't really need
When it was apparent I wouldn't win in life
The lover stopped loving and we went our separate ways
Her new lover showed up within a few weeks
After ten years of living the dream
My heart had fell into a deep freeze

My next dream was living the bachelor life
It took me to Denmark for a Christmas
Wonderful days with future friends, family
And new traditions warmed my heart again
A colourful autumn trip through Algonquin
Hiking in tee shirts during an Indian summer
Was a great way to spend time with a new love
Then plagued with fear of losing another dream
I put an end to it instead

Then from serious to delirious
I met another friend to love


To be continued...

No comments: